I Scream, You Scream ....
The weather is warming and a great way to cool down is with some homemade ice cream. It's easy to run to the grocery story for a pint of chocolate ice cream, but why not make your own. And, if you're like my husband and prefer sorbet to ice cream, you can just replace the milk with any fruit juice - orange, berry, lemonade work best.
- 6 tablespoons of rock salt
- 1 large plastic freezer bag (gallon-size)
- 1 smaller plastic freezer bag (pint-size
- 1/2 tablespoon of chocolate syrup
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1/2 cup of milk or heavy cream (1/2 cup equals around 1 scoop of ice cream
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Ice cubes
Pour the milk or cream, sugar, vanilla and chocolate syrup into the small plastic bag (feel free to add any extras like nuts, fruit or candy pieces). Seal it and make sure there are no holes in the bag. Take the larger freezer bag and fill it half way full of ice, and add the rock salt. Place the small bag into the larger bag and seal the larger bag up (again, making sure there are absolutely no holes in it). Carefully shake the bag until the mixture inside looks like ice cream - around five to eight minutes. The bag might get a bit hot in your hands, so you might want to wrap the bag in a towel or wear gloves.