Golden Globe Dinner
I think I am going to make this upscale pizza and salad on Sunday before I sit down to enjoy the Golden Globes. The recipes are courtesy of Food & Wine magazine. I ordered the magazine for a $1 an issue and got two free recipe book downloads - one Italian and one Grilling. These two recipes are from the Italian download. They both look easy yet definitely tasty.
Fennel and Aged Pecorino Salad
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 large fennel bulbs (2 pounds) - halved, cored and very thinly sliced, fronds reserved
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 5 ounces aged pecorino, shaved (2 cups)
Instructions: In a large bowl, whisk the red wine vinegar and the olive oil; season generously with salt and pepper. Add the sliced fennel, scallions, parsley leaves and shaved pecorino and toss the salad
gently. Transfer the salad to plates, garnish with the fennel fronds and serve right away.
- 16 ounces frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and drained
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small dried chile pepper
- Cornmeal, for dusting
- Two 8-ounce balls of store-bought pizza dough
- 2 1/2 cups coarsely grated imported Fontina cheese
- Freshly ground pepper
Instructions: In a medium bowl, combine the artichoke hearts with 1 cup of the olive oil, the lemon juice,
garlic, thyme, rosemary, bay leaf and chile pepper. Season with salt. Cover and refrigerate the
artichokes overnight or for up to 3 days.
Preheat the oven to 425°. Dust a work surface with cornmeal and roll out each piece of pizza
dough to a 10-inch round. Transfer to baking sheets. Drizzle the rounds with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Bake for about 8 minutes, until the dough looks dry and bubbles appear
on the surface. Remove from the oven. Chop the artichokes into bite-size pieces; drain them on paper towels. Sprinkle the Fontina over the pizzas; distribute the artichokes over the cheese. Season with salt and pepper; return the pizzas to the oven. Bake for about 10 minutes, until the edges are browned.