President's Day Recipes
If you're like most, you hopefully have this upcoming Monday off due to President's Day. Banks, post offices and most schools may be closed, but keep your kitchen open and serve up some fun and easy presidential recipes for brunch. Try out a few favorites below.
Abraham (Lincoln) and Cheese Quiche
- 1 pastry shell
- 1 cup of diced cooked ham
- 2 ounces of cheddar cheese - grated
- 2 ounces of Swiss cheese - grated
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups of half & half
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of chopped chives
First, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spread diced ham over the bottom of the pastry shell and sprinkle about half the cheese as well (the other half will be for the top of the quiche). Next, lightly beat the eggs with a wire whisk and add the half & half and seasonings until smooth. Place the pastry shell on a cookie sheet and carefully pour in the mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Bake at 375 degrees for around 25-30 minutes or until top is puffed up and browned. You can place a knife or toothpick in the center of quiche to tell when done - if comes out clean it's ready. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 or so minutes. *for our veggie friends you can substitute the ham for Morning Star bacon or sausage.
George Washington Apple Salad
- 4 cups of torn fresh spinach leaves
- 1 Washington red apple - unpeeled
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1/4 cup of toasted coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
- 2-3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
Cut apple into bite-size pieces and toss with 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. Next, mix spinach, red apple and walnuts together and toss with dressing.
Calvin Coolidge Coolers
- 1 (6 ounce) can of frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 14 ice cubes
In a blender, combine orange juice concentrate, milk, water, sugar, vanilla and ice. Blend until smooth. Pour into glasses and serve.*You can make this an alcoholic drink by simply adding your favorite liquor - vodka or gin works best.