Carrot and Ginger Soup
Spring into a warmer season with this fresh and tasty soup. Can be served warm or cold.
Creamy Carrot and Ginger Soup, adapted from a recipe by Mark Bittman
Recipe and Photo found on AnnArbor.com
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds of carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1-inch piece of ginger, chopped
- 1 large potato, roughly chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 6 cups of vegetable stock or water
- 1/4 cup of chopped parsley leaves for garnish
Heat the oil in a deep saucepan over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the vegetables, sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes, until the carrots soften. Add the cumin and the stock and cook until the vegetables are very tender, 20 minutes or so.
Next, let mixture cool and use a blender to puree the soup in the pan, in batches if necessary.
Finally, reheat soup a bit before serving and season parsley on top.