Recipe: Lemon-Ginger Cake
This recipe was so good, I made a second cake two days after the first.
- 4 tablespoons of finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) of unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons of finely grated fresh lemon zest
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Preheat oven to 325°F, and butter a loaf or bundt pan, then flour it, knocking out excess. Chill for 10 minutes in the fridge.
Finely grind together fresh ginger and 1/4 cup of sugar in a food processor - set aside. Then, whisk together flour, baking powder, ground ginger, and salt in a large bowl - set aside.
Stir together milk and vanilla in a small bowl - set aside.
Beat together butter, remaining 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons of sugar, and lemon zest in a large bowl with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
Alternately add flour and milk mixtures to butter and eggs in 4 batches, beginning with flour and mixing at low speed until each batch is just incorporated. Mix in ginger sugar until just combined, then lemon juice.
Spoon batter into pan, smoothing top, and bake in middle of oven until golden brown on top and a tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes (about 1 hour for loaf pan). Carefully loosen edges with a knife and immediately invert cake onto a rack to cool completely.
Gradually add confectioners sugar to 1 tablespoon lemon juice, whisking until smooth and adding more juice, 1 drop at a time, if glaze is too thick. Drizzle decoratively over top of cake.